Thursday, February 18, 2010

Are stockings too seamy?

After a couple of dry days where the sun is beginning to poke through the clouds I am confident enough to pop on the pencil skirts again. Personally I have found the days where I wear trousers distinctly less glamorous. Although I mentally conjure up images of Katherine Hepburn and Marlene Dietrich I just can’t seem to mirror their sophisticated devil may care attitude, may be I am not angular enough to carry it off with aplomb.

And so it’s back to my trusty black pencil skirts and silk blouses, much more forgiving for us girls with a few curves. The pencil skirt also brings with it the requirement for a bit of hosiery and as I rummage through the stockings drawer in Plums (don’t tell Tricia I am stealing stock again!) it makes me wonder why so many women shy away from wearing stockings. Stockings seem to have become the preserve of special saucy occasions. Women who do own suspender belts have received them as a Valentine’s or Christmas gift and have worn these lacey red or black numbers on a token number of occasions. Suspender belts have gone from almost being an essential for every lingerie drawer to a sordid piece of dress up, put away in a box with naughty nurse outfits and accessories from Ann Summers.

Maybe it’s about time women reclaimed stockings and suspenders for themselves. As much as you hear claims that stockings are more hygienic or practical than tights it’s never going to make women want to wear them. It is undeniable that stockings and suspenders are sexy but surely there isn’t anything wrong with feeling alluring? Why is it that being frumpy is more acceptable than being glamorous?

Next time you are putting on a skirt, and no I’m not suggesting full time mums should be tottering around in stilettos and seamed stockings, why not dig out that special occasion suspender belt and open a fresh pair of stockings and see if it makes you feel any different. Think Dita Von Teese and channel a bit of Hollywood film star in your wardrobe. Don’t be afraid to feel sexy, start slowly with some simple nude stockings and before you know it you will soon be wearing fully fashioned seamed stockings on a night out! Feel the need for a bit of inspiration? Then watch the film Silk Stockings it has an amazing scene where Cyd Charisse puts aside her black wool stockings and tries her first pair of silk stockings.

Don’t know your fully fashioned from your rht then check out my guide to buying stockings.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree! Lingerie should always be about the wearer, not the observer.

    P.S. The link to that article at the bottom doesn't work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know.. all fixed now, sorry for the delay x

    ReplyDelete